Questions to consider when choosing your new SIL home
There is a lot that goes into choosing the right Supported Independent Living (SIL) home. It may seem overwhelming; but by working with your NDIS plan manager if you are working with one, or a local area coordinator, you can find the best accommodation for your circumstances.
Knowledge is power, so taking the time to do your research and ask the right questions will enable you to develop a good understanding of what you can expect from a prospective SIL home, taking into account a number of different factors.
What to ask about the accommodation
Perhaps the most obvious questions to ask first pertain to the house itself. You should consider its location and whether the house is actually suitable for your needs, taking into account whatever accessibility requirements you have and the overall condition of the residence. Here are some questions to consider:
- Is there ready access to public transport?
- Is the home in good repair?
- Does it contain the necessary accessibility features you require?
- Does the living space feel comfortable and welcoming?
- Is there a garden or other outdoor space for you to enjoy?
Who will be there?
Your NDIS plan may provide for you to have your own accommodation, but likely you will be living in a shared space. It is critical, then, to make sure that you will be comfortable in this situation. It is also important to think about what access you will have to support staff when needed.
- How many people will you be sharing the accommodation with?
- How well will you all get along? Will there be any significant personality clashes?
- What are your roommates’ support requirements and how will they influence your situation?
- What staff will be available to assist you when needed?
- Will transport services be available to connect you to the community?
For our part at Community Access Care, our team is fully dedicated to providing the highest level of care appropriate to your needs. Through our in-home and community-oriented services, we will work with you to achieve independent living solutions to make your SIL home experience empowering and fulfilling.
What expenses are involved?
You want to make the most out of your funding arrangements, so having a full understanding of the expenses you will be incurring is a must. The more questions you ask, the less likely you will face unforeseen circumstances.
- How much is the rent?
- What is the cost of utilities such as electricity and gas?
- Are there any hidden fees involved?
Our Supported Independent Living (SIL) service enables you to discover ways to manage living in your own home, as independently as possible.
Get in touch with our friendly team, and we will assist you as soon as we can:
Phone: 1300 522 104
Email: [email protected]